My family loves Disney World! When we were planning our first trip to Disney in 2010, our daughters were four years old and 15 months (this was before daughter #3 came along). Some people couldn’t understand our excitement at planning our trip to Disney. They didn’t know why we would spend so much money on a trip that our children wouldn’t even remember. There are lots of people who determine a certain age that they will take their children to Disney, so they can remember every moment of the trip. While I understand their thought process in it… once you go to Disney, you will understand why this isn’t the best idea.
Here are the top 9 reasons to take your child to Disney World.
- The Rides. Disney was designed for children. There are tons of rides that you can take small children on. There are even lots of rides you can go on while pregnant. If you wait until your child is older they will be looking forward to the “big” rides. When your child learns to love the classic rides when they are little, they continue to like them as they get older. Some of my favorites for little ones are: Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Peter Pan’s Flight, the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh , the Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid, the Seas with Nemo and Friends, Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros, Kilimanjaro Safari, Tricera Top Spin and of course the Prince Charming Regal Carrousel!
- The characters. Most little ones love the Disney characters! There is something so special about taking them to see Mickey and Minnie and the princesses when they are so real to them! My youngest daughter fell in love with the Winnie the Pooh characters while we ate at Crystal Palace so much that she has picked that as the restaurant to celebrate her 5th birthday at this year (4 years later). There is just something wonderful about watching a little one toddle over to hug Mickey and Minnie. The look on their faces make it worth every penny you spent to get them there.
- Kids grow fast! We have taken a family vacation to Disney for the past 6 years now and every trip is so vastly different. Each year the girls have grown and one of them has hit a new cutoff for a bigger ride. Each year there is a new favorite character that they can’t wait to see or a ride they can’t wait to go on. I can’t imagine if we had missed those first few trips with them. Every year that passes is one that you cannot get back.
- Disney was created with children and families in mind. We have travelled with a one year old, travelled twice in the August Florida heat and once while I was 8 months pregnant. Let me tell you… Disney has thought of everything! So many of the queues are inside or in the shade with air conditioning or fans. The wait queues are designed to keep children entertained while they wait. Sometimes my daughters are so busy playing in the queue that they aren’t ready to move when the line is going.
- Children love Disney! Disney is Disney, there is no better way to say it. The whole place is fun, exciting, bright and colorful! There is music and singing and dancing. There is plenty to take in and people are enjoying it in every direction you look. What better time to take a child to Disney than when they can truly enjoy the magic of it.
- When you go with little ones it is easier for you to relax and enjoy Disney as a child too! It’s hard to properly describe, but the stress of real life melts away when you enter Disney property. I actually got teary eyed when I saw Cinderella Castle for the first time with my daughters. I tried to pull the sword out of the stone, screamed on Thunder Mountain Railroad and gave Mickey Mouse a hug. When you see Disney through the eyes of your child you can truly enjoy the feeling of being a child at Disney as well.
- Disney has thought of everything you could want. Baby Care Centers are amazing for families with little ones. You can get out of the sun, nurse your baby, and change diapers out of the public eye or busy restrooms. There are some activities and Disney movies to keep your older children entertained while they wait for you to finish. Disney resorts even offer fun for little ones from splash pads to children’s wading pools.
- Escape the real world. Disney lets you escape real life and enjoy every moment with your children. When we go on our family trips we stay at a Disney resort, use the dining plan, and budget before we leave home for everything. While we are on vacation, there are no bills to pay or jobs to do. My husband and I can focus our time on each other and our children. They take care of so many of the little details for you, that you can relax and enjoy time with your family. You can soak in all those memories that your child might not remember, but you will!
- You can go again in the future, but you can’t go back in time. If you are waiting to take your “one trip to Disney” when your children are “old enough to remember”, have you thought about the fact that you might love it and want to go again? You might end up wishing you had seen the look on your daughter’s face when she met Cinderella or Anna at the age of 4 instead of 10. You might wonder how much your son would have enjoyed Jedi Training at Hollywood Studios if he had gotten to go when he was young enough to participate. You can’t go back in time to redo it. If you take them when they are young you can always decide to take them again when they are older, but you can never go backwards.
If you have been waiting to take your child to Disney until all of the kids are “old enough to remember”, I would like to ask you to reconsider. Think of all the incredible memories that you are missing out on now, while they are still little. If you spend time doing the research and planning for your trip, you will have an amazing trip that will make you want to go back again and again! Plan a trip to take your child to Disney and you can create wonderful memories.
Have you been to Disney with a small child and have advice to share? Do you have questions about planning a trip with a little one? Leave a comment or email me. I love talking about Disney!